Bounds: Polyheder; Request

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
goldentaiji

Bounds: Polyheder; Request

Post by goldentaiji »

I've started rigging up tests in anticipation of the bullet contest. All in all, bullet is extremely great when compared to sumo and the physics simulations are awesome.

:D But we always push for better and better things. In sumo, there was a bounds called Polyheder. Although it didn't function well, I miss that extra bound option. Polyheder allowed you to make say a dynamic cup and have a ball fall into it, with all physics interactions possible. With polyheder in bullet, it can open up more physic simulation possibilities.

Umm... if there's already an option that achieves this, I haven't seen any with the desired affects.

Jason Lin
Icoxo

Post by Icoxo »

In the coming months there will be the ability to use any number of convex bodies to form the bounds of a physics object. So as to simulate having a concave object react realistically. Like a L shaped body would have two box bounds comprise its collision bounds and it will act as if collision was precise.

These "compounds" would allow you to have your bucket, and pickup trucks, and donuts, and horseshoes ect...
goldentaiji

Post by goldentaiji »

:D Wow, that's great news Icoxo. Hehe, but where are you getting the info from? Probably straight from Erwin himself, but is there a place where planned features are posted?

Jason Lin
Icoxo

Post by Icoxo »

http://www.continuousphysics.com/Bullet ... .php?t=322

Here and in other topics he hints at compound-convex in the coming months, so keep your eyes peeled.[/quote]
goldentaiji

Post by goldentaiji »

:( Ahh 2.43 was his projected date. Lol, I was looking for it because it'd allow me to make some cooler extra machines (The Incredible Machine style) for the bullet demo contest.

Well, I'll just have to wait to play around with the extra collision bound feature then. Less machines to play with in 2.42 demo then.

Jason LIn
Icoxo

Post by Icoxo »

Not to worry though, you can simply expand the game with the new machines when the first preview with compounds in it comes out (which will probably be before the official 2.43 release)