Blender and Bullet, sudden mesh split and turns dynamic

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
JD-Multi

Blender and Bullet, sudden mesh split and turns dynamic

Post by JD-Multi »

While I was making barrels and trying something for the upcomming Bullet Contest, I found a strange bug. I make a hollow barrel and for some reason the hollow of it turns into a dynamic object for itself. No clue why, looks funny but not ment to be I think. :)

File, just start with P and see the barrel with IcoSphere on top, it have no idea how to explain what exactly happens but it's quite funny, never seen before.
http://stud.cmd.hro.nl/0775659/various/ ... cked.blend
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

How did you split the mesh? Does the object have multiple meshes? This could explain the behaviour. Don't use multiple meshes on rigidbodies for now.

If you want to simulate a hollow barrel, you have to create a compound objects, and parenting the sides. You can see a working sample in the mouse trap .blend file. The ball starts in a hollow basket.

Download the mousetrap file here:
http://www.continuousphysics.com/ftp/pu ... test.blend

Hope this helps,
Erwin
JD-Multi

Post by JD-Multi »

That's exactly the point, I didn't split the mesh. I just modeled a barrel and extruded the top of the barrel to the inside. Afther that I went into object mode and added dynamic and a bound to the object. When I start the engine it splits itself without a reason that I split the object myself. The only thing that could be is that I made a seam of the inner barrel to be able to texture it, it seams to split the seam from the object and use it as another mesh or something. I have no clue but 1 thing for sure I did not split it myself or added multiple meshes to it.