64 Bit Support?

gunner10

64 Bit Support?

Post by gunner10 »

I noticed the docs say that Windows 32/64 bit is supported, but is the 64 bit support only in 32 bit mode?

Specifically, I'm interested in native 64 bit support and the ability to use doubles instead of single precision floats. Looking briefly at the header files, there seems to be the potential to do this, e.g. as I look in btScalar.h.

I don't see WIN64 specifically checked for though, and there only appears to be the following option?

typedef float btScalar; // Is there a way to have typedef double btScalar?
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: 64 Bit Support?

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Yes, the Bullet source code supports 64 bit compilers. Bullet 2.x is used inside Blender open source modeler, and 64 bit native builds are reported to work. You might need to adjust the build system settings, did you try cmake to autogenerate new projectfiles?

There is only single precision float supported. We probably allow btScalar to be defined as double in the future, but this is a todo.
Erwin

gunner10 wrote:I noticed the docs say that Windows 32/64 bit is supported, but is the 64 bit support only in 32 bit mode?

Specifically, I'm interested in native 64 bit support and the ability to use doubles instead of single precision floats. Looking briefly at the header files, there seems to be the potential to do this, e.g. as I look in btScalar.h.

I don't see WIN64 specifically checked for though, and there only appears to be the following option?

typedef float btScalar; // Is there a way to have typedef double btScalar?
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

I split the topic: see also "Use doubles instead of single precision floats"