Compiling Bullet at a set of shared libraries

luke.titley

Compiling Bullet at a set of shared libraries

Post by luke.titley »

Hey, is it possible to compile bullet as a set of shared libraries without too much trouble ?
I would like to use it in a plug-in I am writing.
I've checked ./configure --help there doesn't seem to be any options listed for doing this.

Thanks

Luke
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Compiling Bullet at a set of shared libraries

Post by Erwin Coumans »

You can add and link all .cpp files in Bullet/src into your existing plugin. The build systems (cmake, jam, msvc) only create a static libraries. There is no 'system wide' Bullet installation or dynamic/shared library.

At the moment, all C++classes are directly exposed to the developer, so he/she can use and extend them in any way. Such a rich C++ interface doesn't suit a shared / dynamic library very well I think. There is plans for an optional C-API, and it would be easier to expose the Bullet library with such C-API as shared library. But someone will need to go through the trouble of adding additional/optional support for such shared library build setting (either for C++ or C API).

Have you considered linking the static libraries into your existing plugin?

Thanks for your feedback,
Erwin

luke.titley wrote:Hey, is it possible to compile bullet as a set of shared libraries without too much trouble ?
I would like to use it in a plug-in I am writing.
I've checked ./configure --help there doesn't seem to be any options listed for doing this.

Thanks

Luke
luke.titley

Static Librarys

Post by luke.titley »

Yes I had.
I will do that for now. Thank you.