Things i've noticed with preview 15 and other things

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
Icoxo

Things i've noticed with preview 15 and other things

Post by Icoxo »

I've played with preview 15 for a moment and want to ask questions.

1). When should we expect restitutuin and objects moving on IPO objects? A week, a month perhaps?
2). When I created an enclosure for the jenga demo bodies (a bucket) and moved the bucket with IPO, the result was extremely buggy, depending on the friction in the materials, some of the bodies squeeze through the wall while others get pushed along a few times until they squeeze though. If static triangle mesh is meant not to be used with IPO objects that means carrier buckets with IPO movement and bowls for IPO operated catapults and other applications like cable cars would be impossible.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Things i've noticed with preview 15 and other things

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Icoxo wrote:I've played with preview 15 for a moment and want to ask questions.
1). When should we expect restitutuin and objects moving on IPO objects? A week, a month perhaps?
no timelines, "when its done"
2). When I created an enclosure for the jenga demo bodies (a bucket) and moved the bucket with IPO, the result was extremely buggy, depending on the friction in the materials, some of the bodies squeeze through the wall while others get pushed along a few times until they squeeze though. If static triangle mesh is meant not to be used with IPO objects that means carrier buckets with IPO movement and bowls for IPO operated catapults and other applications like cable cars would be impossible.
'static' is not meant to move. The word static was explicitely added to make sure people would not try to make it dynamic.

In the future compound convex will be added to allow carrier buckets and so on.
Icoxo

Post by Icoxo »

Well thanks anyway, but you do know without those features implemented we can't do

-buckets
-golf games with bouncing golf balls
-trains with interiors
-moving platforms
-elevators (complete elevators, not simple platform ones)
-chains
-proper catapults
ect...

Also, how exactly will we be able to make compound-convex bodies, how will this work or don't you know yet?

Hopefully that feature and the others will make it in in coming months or by the next release after 2.42 and make all this possible and a lot more when the plugin system and OGRE intergration is complete. :wink:
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

compound convex object will enable all this.

First it will be added to Bullet, as new collision primitive.
Then in Blender, when you can select 'compound' for a dynamic parent object. This will use the children as compound colliders.

My best guess for this is Blender 2.43.
Icoxo

Post by Icoxo »

If you can get that and restitution and the ability to make objects ride IPO objects ready by 2.43 that would be great. And then we can say good by and good riddance to Sumo and other game engines plugging into it once the plugin system is done can use it :D

I've been looking for years to find the ideal 3D engine and it looks like the Blender engine will be suitable for decent games with good physics by 2.43.

BTW: say you have an object animated with an armature, would it be possible for the different collider objects to be animated with the armature object to allow for more precise collision detection?