GSOC projects?

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
pildanovak

GSOC projects?

Post by pildanovak »

There's now a big discussion about GSOC projects in the mailinglists etc. what about trying to get some gameengine projects into the list? I think erwin is the only person who can decide about this...
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Blender GameEngine is going to have some big improvements this year.
2 big improvements that are planned and worked on are:

- plugin architecture, to allow external game engines. This will help Chrystal Blend, but also Ogre3d and other engines.
- integration with Ogre3D. Charlie (snailrose) is working on this, and has some preliminary results, running Ogre3d inside Blender:

http://www.continuousphysics.com/ftp/pu ... reTest.zip

I think those changes are too big for a Google Summer of Code project, unless they work together with Charlie and me on this.

Erwin
mal

Post by mal »

Plugin integration with other 3D engines ( OGRE, Crystal Space, Irrlicht ) would rock, as it would also offer a way to easily integrate the custom game rendering engines of game developers directly into Blender, greatly increasing Blenders appeal to the game development community.

Just a quick note... I had to download 3 additional .DLLs to get the OGRE build to work...

msvcp71d.dll
msvcr71d.dll
msvcrtd.dll

Keep up the great work! BTW I'm currently trying to get Blender compiled with the Code:Blocks IDE, and writing a tutorial after I accomplish this ( to encourage other coders to get involved, who don't have or want to install MSVC ).

Then, I hope to be able to help out with the coding of some of the smaller game engine tasks.

Regards...
Mal
pildanovak

Post by pildanovak »

hrmphhh........... WOW! I think this is a big step for blender's internal game engine... to the history :) and a great step forward to make blender really usefull for making interactive applications and games:)
this sounds really great. I think it also saves a lot of effort to blender developers, since ogre is really good supported.
thanks.
Icoxo

Post by Icoxo »

Soon the days of comments saying (even Blender's game engine is better then this) will be gone if these things happen :wink:
goldentaiji

Post by goldentaiji »

:roll: Hehe, snailrose you probably heard enough praise over this, but let me add to it.

:shock: Woah, it's completely mind blowing. When I saw an external suzanne mesh loaded in I couldn't contain my excitement. Lol, finally blender's going down that road.

Wow, when blender becomes fully pluggable, realtime rendering engines, physics, sound. I'm going to be in heaven, lol. Oh the joy of just thinking about it.

Hats off to you and Erwin for making dreams come true :wink:.

Jason Lin