Right way to create&export collisions from Maya to Collada ?

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
ccollomb

Right way to create&export collisions from Maya to Collada ?

Post by ccollomb »

I am using Maya2008, bullet-2.73-sp1, Dynamica Bullet 2.72 plugin for Maya 2008, Windows 32bit, Alpha 1 . I also tried to compile the MayaPlugin with the latest source code and the results are identical (I succeeded in compiling and running it but it still does not manage to export meshes)

1. There is ColladaMaya and Dynamica? I have only been able to create visible collisions with Dynamica, could anyone explain to me how to create collision shapes without Dynamica?
2. When I export Collision Meshes with the Dynamica Plugin the file does not contain the mesh. Is that a bug or a missing feature or do I need to do anything to get the mesh exported (it works with Spheres and Cubes but not with Meshes)
3. If I export the scene created with Dynamica with the ColladaMaya exporter the collisions are not recognized by the ColladaConverter getNumCollisionShapes returns 0, whereas if I export spheres and cubes with the Dynamica plugin they are recognized. So what's the deal, shouldn't the file formats (Collada) be identically supported by the converter? Or is the converter only for Dynamica? In that case the API should be renamed to DynamicaColladaConverter.
4. Would be great to have a sticky thread explaining how to make that kind of stuff.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Cedrick
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Right way to create&export collisions from Maya to Collada ?

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Dynamica currently creates Gimpact meshes, which are not supported by BulletColladaConverter yet. We will add support soon, for Bullet 2.74.

ColladaMaya doesn't support, export or import any physics data. Please report the issue at the ColladaMaya developers.

It is best to use Dynamica if you want to export physics information from Maya, or use the Havok tools and hkx2dae converter.

Hope this helps,
Erwin