how to limit CPU usage

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
o----o

how to limit CPU usage

Post by o----o »

Hello guys

I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I have one question.
I work with blender couple years and at the beginning we had a problem with slow computers and we fight all the time with optimization and so on.
Because the 3D and especially realtime is kinda heavy Blender, or the engine takes all CPU even though it doesn't needs it.
Nowadays we have pretty fast computers such as Intel based apple and dual or quad core for PC. Many of the games, actually almost of all the games made in Blender, or else Bullet engine don't need all CPU power. But the engine eats 100% CPU no matter if you rotate simple cube or have a collisions in the scene, armatures etc.
I know the engine actually doesn't use all power of the processor or processors :) it just seams like. But, for example on the PCs with windows the manager shows the game eating 100% CPU.
The problem is when you run on battery or use power safe tools then it eats the energy in a while and you can look for the socket again ;)
I think i don't have to explain all reasons why it'll by good to have an possibility to set up CPU usage in the game.

Do you think it's possible manage it somehow? It's possible implement some utility in Blender or Bullet where we could set up calculating time or so?
(I have tried to decrease FPS and all the tickrate but with no result, running Windows XP)

thx a lot jm