strange behavior

Blick

strange behavior

Post by Blick »

I'm not sure how to exaplain it but im trying to make a character controller and I noticed some strange behavior while moving.

I'm using a capsule shape and when I apply a force to go in a certain direction it always seems to drift to horizontal or vertical movement if that makes sense.

It becomes very noticable when the velocity is low and if the applied force is too small I cant even move except horizontally or vertically.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue?

EDIT:
I did some testing and it doesnt seem to happen when I dont set angularfactor to 1.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: strange behavior

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Which version of Bullet are you using?

It might be the friction model interfering with the 'angular factor'. Can you try to set the friction to zero and see if that helps?

Thanks,
Erwin
Blick

Post by Blick »

Im using version 2.62

What you suggested works, when setting friction to zero it doesnt drift anymore. But does that mean I cant use friction when setting angular factor to zero?
Blick

Post by Blick »

Thats too bad, guess I'll have to switch to ageia physx :/
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

The friction model improved in Bullet 2.63, so could you try that out?

Can you reproduce your setup in a Bullet demo? We are planning to provide a character controller in one of the upcoming versions.

Thanks for the feedback,
Erwin
Blick

Post by Blick »

dang 2.63 seems to solve the problem, I couldnt find anything about it in the changelog thats why I didnt try it out :oops:

A character controller would benefit bullet alot I think, if you need testers id be happy to try it out.
ChrisO

Post by ChrisO »

Blick wrote:A character controller would benefit bullet alot I think, if you need testers id be happy to try it out.
I second that. I'm working on a demo right now that uses Bullet and I'd incorporate a Bullet character controller into the demo engine tomorrow if it was available :)