A few questions

Blick

A few questions

Post by Blick »

Hi,

I've succesfully integrated bullet in my application but I have a few questions.

At the moment I'm using a static btBvhTriangleMeshShape as scene and have spheres collide with it. Now I'd like to apply some external force to the sphere and as long as its moving it works but once the sphere gets stationary it seems to be stuck.
When I drop some boxes on the sphere it in order to make it move applying forces works again. Any idea whats going on here?

I'm also wondering about moving over obstacles (stairs for example), I've searched the forum but couldnt find any good answers.
Lets say you run into an obstacle, instead of tumbling over could one use the angle to climb it instead?
Blick

Re: A few questions

Post by Blick »

Code: Select all

body->setActivationState(DISABLE_DEACTIVATION);
This Seems to solve my first question but im not sure if this is how it should be done.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Hi,

Yes your solution works, but there is a different way that is more recommended: activate the object before applying an impulse or force using:

Code: Select all

body->activate();
body->applyImpulse(impulse,pos);
This is better for the performance instead of disabling deactivation entirely.

Hope this helps,
Erwin
Blick

Post by Blick »

aha thx

I searched google but couldnt find any info on how to make a character controller, especially to climb obstacles in a decent way. I'll just use some crappy solution I came up with for now, it works by not allowing the velocity to go upwards above a certain treshold except in specials cases such as jumping.

If anybody could direct me to a resource where I could find more info on this that would be appreciated ;)