Newbish Question

pseudosig

Newbish Question

Post by pseudosig »

I just download bullet and I've been playing around with the demos. Nice library. Anywho, I'm curious what the limits are regarding the size and number of vertices a triangle mesh model is not to exceed. I need to do physics simulation with models that have vertices in the range of 3000 - 6000 vertices. Is Bullet not a good library for this size? Oh, and there will only be one or two of these complex models in my world.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Newbish Question

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Are those static (non-moving) triangle meshes for the environment?
Then Bullet should be able to handle them fine. Note that in general it is best not use too small triangles or too much detail in one spot, so a checker piece made out of 1000 triangles is not recommended.

For moving objects, it is best to approximate objects by (compounds) of convex parts.
There is some general info/recommendations on Bullet in the manual, have you check that already?
Thanks,
Erwin
pseudosig

Re: Newbish Question

Post by pseudosig »

Erwin Coumans wrote:Are those static (non-moving) triangle meshes for the environment?
Then Bullet should be able to handle them fine. Note that in general it is best not use too small triangles or too much detail in one spot, so a checker piece made out of 1000 triangles is not recommended.

For moving objects, it is best to approximate objects by (compounds) of convex parts.
There is some general info/recommendations on Bullet in the manual, have you check that already?
Thanks,
Erwin
I have one model that's a non moving basket (around 4000 vertices) and I intend to "roll" a die that's about 300 vertices. The basket's topology has concave areas (i.e. going inside the basket) and the die should be fully convex.

I've downloaded the manual, and there's A LOT to look at. It would be better if the demo code was better documented and not full with so many #if endif's.

I plan to roll my die into the basket. The basket will only be used to collide against and the die will bounce, etc.

Any suggestions to get started... thanks