About License

Eridius

About License

Post by Eridius »

I have a specific question about the license. I am building a game engine. We do not want to waste a ton of time creating stuff like physics API or Networking API or Sound API and just focus on the build the Rendering engine since that is the biggest thing they see.

This seems like one possible choice for a physics API to use to build our Physics Engine with. We are going to have 2 options for buying the engine. 1 is the cheap option which gives access to the engine with .dll files and no source code access. The second option is much more expensive but have full source code access. Will I be able to see my engine both ways with this library?
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Yes, you are allowed to sell and distribute your game engine with Bullet in all cases, including commercial purpose.

As long as you comply with the license lines at the top of the files, you should be all fine. The ZLib license is even more liberal then BSD license, so you don't even need to mention you use Bullet in the documentation.
/*
Bullet Continuous Collision Detection and Physics Library
Copyright (c) 2003-2006 Erwin Coumans http://continuousphysics.com/Bullet/

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty.
In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.
Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely,
subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.
2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.
3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.
*/
Hope this helps,
Erwin
Eridius

Post by Eridius »

Well that is very nice that I can release too source code too with my source code in my engine. If I do decide to use it I will diffidently mention your software in our description, that is the least we would do.