Bullet functionnalities

fred

Bullet functionnalities

Post by fred »

Hello,

I thank all the contributors to the development of Bullet, this kind of initiative makes it possible for small developpers to work with technologies too expensive to buy or develop in-house.

Bullet is a good engine of physics, robust, with beautiful simulations, easy to use.

Thank you very much Erwin Coumans for the maintenance of this great project.

To make it integrable in our game engine, I will modestly try to carry my stone to the building !

I have questions about Bullet functionnalities.

1 > The idea is to keep enough precision to handle globals positions in a continuous world.

Is it possible to use double precision for globals position of rigid body ?
Only for globals positions because double are expensive and can not be optimized with vector processor. The idea is to perform a minimum amount of double precision operation to go in a local space where single precision is good enough.

2 > In our engine, we want to perform dynamic level loading, each level is split into several micro world.
Is it possible to grow up the btAxisSweep3 in a dynamic manner ?
Or better, have several btAxisSweep3 (one by micro world) ? ( in this case the bodies between several btAxisSweep3 would have to be handled correctly !)

3 > Is it possible to build several collision group ?
ex : for a camera, we want to collide with static shape but go through kinematic or rigid body without collision.
ex : have two shapes of collision, one finer for gun bullet, one coarser for character.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Fred. :wink:
fred

Post by fred »

Hello,

For the questions 1 and 2, I think that these problems should not be solved by the physic engine. Physic engine is here only to detect & solve collisions and constraints in a finite simulation environment... It is the game engine to use it so as to adapt its use according to the context.

For the question 3, I find m_collisionFilterGroup & m_collisionFilterMask who can help me.

Fred.