Collision shape designer tool

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
Dragonlord

Collision shape designer tool

Post by Dragonlord »

Would be interested to know if somebody uses such a tool or knows one which would be of use. What I am looking for is a tool with which I can create analytical shapes like a box or capsule around a 3d Mesh. Hence I want to engulf the mesh in boundary boxes approximating the mesh. I can misuse Blender3D for this but if there is a simpler way it would not hurt.

--
Pl?ss Roland
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

I am working on a simple basic prototype of 'Open Physics Composer.

This is exactly what you describe, and similar to FX Composer, but injecting physics/collision info instead of shaders.

You can find some early info and screenshot of it in todays' small Khronos GDC presentation of COLLADA Physics. It has a Windows MFC UI, but it will be released as open source, so you can do your own binding. It uses COLLADA DOM to import/export COLLADA files, but other file formats are fine too.

You can also look into using Blender, 'CreateDynamics' and 'Scythe' physics editor.
Erwin
Dragonlord

Post by Dragonlord »

Your tool sounds nice. Scythe seems like closed source and though looking good imposes troubles. Looks like Blender then has to be misused for the time being.
Cirdan

Post by Cirdan »

Hi!

I did something like it, EXTREMLY primitive though: http://geom.dowhatyoufeel.de

Cirdan
stephanh

Post by stephanh »

I tried the blender collada exporter today, but it seems to lack compound support and development of the exporter looks pretty dead unfortunately.

erwin, may i ask whats the ETA of your open physics composer?

thanks alot,

regards,
stephan