Link / spring stiffness and dampness for invidual springs

rohezal

Link / spring stiffness and dampness for invidual springs

Post by rohezal »

Hi,

I want to use bullet for freehand 3d modelling tool with a kinect. I would like to have a softbody, which consists of springs, vertices (for faces) and different stiffness and elastic parameters per invidual springs.

You should be able to change the stiffness of invidual springs (via a sphere, each spring in the sphere gets the new stiffness).

You should be able to do the same with the absorbtion of energy (make it more plastic and less elastic).

I wrote a simple, basic engine which can handle springs (hooks law and co) but bullet is way more powerful and cooler. Is there a way to change the stiffness of a spring and the elastic / plastic absorbtion of a spring? I looked at the "Link" class and "Soft Body Link" but just found the resting length and the "m_bbending" // Bending link. What is the Bending link?

http://bulletphysics.org/Bullet/BulletF ... tml#l00237

And is there a more detailed link which can handle spring damping (per invidual spring) and stiffness per spring?

This is for an university student project, I am still looking for a good physic engine to implement the idea.

A different question: Does the volume conservation works well, when you change the mesh? Where is the volume conserved? At the parts of the mesh you don't change during modelling, or just everywhere? Would this mean a fully elastic mesh (and so no way to change it permanently for modelling reasons)?

Kind regards
Rohezal