GE Bugs

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
calli

GE Bugs

Post by calli »

So the release is almost there, the developers are fiddeling with the sculpt showstoppers but I guess we (authors hrm, hrm) have to live with the remaining GE Bugs?

I wonder what we need to do to get more support, as the GE developers (thanks! incredible new features!) are just swamped with work.

The GE Tracker is a bit hidden and separated (I think it is wrong to claim "only xx bugs left" and to forget the dozens in the second class bugtracker...)

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?gr ... 9&atid=306

Best regards,
Carsten

Hope I did not sound to unthankfull and sarcastic
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: GE Bugs

Post by Erwin Coumans »

There is some time spend on fixing bugs of the bug tracker, but this is very limited indeed.

It is a matter of priorities, I allocated some time on improving GE physics, COLLADA export and help others towards an Ogre player.
There are a few people helping with this, but I rather want them to focus on longer term plans:

Upcoming plans for next Blender versions is further work towards a Game Engine based on Ogre, Bullet, COLLADA, and improving rigid body authoring/modeling.

So in short: the GE bug tracker is there, but it is not focus to keep on messing with the old code base, except for re-usable parts like Bullet etc.
I am happy with the current status, and hope some people will create some cool Rube Goldberg machineries.

Erwin
calli

Post by calli »

I was hoping for a working (all what is currently possible) version before a big switch in design or for Ogre.

Don`t get me wrong, you are my hero Erwin! I love Bullet, I had one of the greates time with a friend to explore and smash the cathedral-scene...

However I need to write a book, and can`t use (for example) the ray-sensor.

Carsten
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

calli wrote:I was hoping for a working (all what is currently possible) version before a big switch in design or for Ogre.

However I need to write a book, and can`t use (for example) the ray-sensor.
The GE has been under re-construction, so you would be documenting a moving target indeed. I try my best, but there is nothing I can do for 2.43 release. Perhaps you can allocate some additional chapters on Blender in relationship to COLLADA, Ogre and Bullet? And warn that some functions of the game engine are defunct due to reconstruction, but that this hopefully gets fixed in upcoming versions: there are some efforts to tackle the tracker bugs.

Thanks for the feedback,
Erwin
mal

Post by mal »

Hi Calli,

Can you send a simple .blend showing how the ray-sensor is broken?

I'm focusing in my limited spare time on fixing these smaller bugs in the GE.
Mal
calli

Post by calli »

Hi Mal,

I im not sure if it is a simple or smaller bug...

However there is a bug report from me (beside others) complete with a simple demo .blend at:

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/ind ... 9&atid=306

All the best,
Carsten

PS: Ton gave me moderator rights for the GE Tracker, as soon as my time (yes I know how this feels...) permits I will check and coordinate a bit more in this sector.
calli

Post by calli »

Oh one more: It is not the RaySensor is not working, it is about that it generates "always" true pulses, not only in the frequency denoted in "f:25".

Carsten
mal

Post by mal »

Hi there Calli,

You're able to compile from source, right?

If so, try this...

Load up the KX_RaySensor.cpp file.

Change line 265 from...
return result;

to...
return false;

This will then only trigger a positive event based on the timings, rather than on the fact that something is in front of the object. By setting the timer frequency to 0, it operates like normal.

I'm posting this, rather than a patch, so that you can quickly test it to see if it fixes your problem both in the .blend file posted ( it works here ), and in your more complicated examples using the ray sensor.

Let me know if it does work OK for the more complicated examples, and I can submit a patch to Erwin.
Mal
calli

Post by calli »

Close to solved I would say.

However, without negative/positive pulses activated and f:0 it should still generate a +pulse on entering an object and -pulse on leaving it.

The Keyboard sensor acts fine as "how it should" work.

Carsten
calli

Post by calli »

The NearSensor works also ok, and it seems for me that it is codewise near the ray sensor. I am far away to understand the code, but I guess you "Mal can do!" ;-)

I attach a demofile for the workin Nearsens onto the Bug:

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/ind ... 9&atid=306

Carsten
calli

Post by calli »

Code: Select all

/* now pass this result to some controller */

if (m_rayHit)
	{
		if (!m_bTriggered)
		{
			// notify logicsystem that ray is now hitting
			result = true;
			m_bTriggered = true;
		}
		else
		  {
			// notify logicsystem that ray is STILL hitting ...
			result = false;
			m_bTriggered = true;

}
	}
    else
      {
		if (m_bTriggered)
		{
			m_bTriggered = false;
			// notify logicsystem that ray JUST left the Object
			result = true;
		}

}

I think I got it. It requires a twist in mind to get the idea that you need to pass a true if there is no hit ;-)

Carsten
mal

Post by mal »

> I am far away to understand the code, but I guess you "Mal can do!"

lol - I'm hoping to fix as many existing bugs as possible in the GE for next release, and let Erwin and Charlie focus on the cool new stuff ( my original focus was to get messaging working again, and not running twice ).

Did your additional fix work OK for the nearSensor / raySensor stuff? I'd need a new .blend showing what's currently broke with the new fix.

I'm starting to get to grips better now with the GE code ( am working on both a fix for parented TrackTo, and also next in line is fixing up the joystick code to better support triggering stuff with buttons etc - someone posted this bug to the forum earlier ).

Hopefully you've got the GE bug fixing bug now as well! :)

Regards...
Mal
calli

Post by calli »

See my code above. It seems to fix the raysensor perfectly.

Near is ok as far I can tell (there was a report on blenderartists but I doubt it is a bug).

Maybe (needs research) the radar sensor is broken too. At least the visualisation is wrong....

Be sure I will suport you (and erwin and charlie) at max when my book is ready and I can put some time into fun things again!

Carsten