OpenCL Rigid Body Support

mike.taylor

OpenCL Rigid Body Support

Post by mike.taylor »

I am going to take a look at the OpenCL Rigid Body acceleration. Is that code in 2.81? Or do I need to use the erwincoumans/experiments version from GitHub?

Thanks!

Michael Taylor
psionprime

Re: OpenCL Rigid Body Support

Post by psionprime »

It is there in the 2.8.1 Bullet SDK. Look at the OpenCL demos. There are some caveats:

(Note: the development platform I am currently using is Windows 8 using VS2012 with the Win7.1 SDK x32 libs due to 3rd party lib requirements (PhysX) as I test on Bullet, Havok and PhysX)

1. The OpenCL demos require card level SDKs being the Intel OpenCL SDK & nVidia CUDA 5 SDK if you want those solutions, otherwise MiniCL via CPU OpenCL works. I have a hybrid graphic system for those but not an AMD card at present
1.a. OpenCLCloth Demo Intel version craps out with btAssert( 0 && "clEnqueueAcquireGLObjects(copySoftBodyToVertexBuffer)"); in the softbody solver header line 126; the particles demo worked with all the interfaces I have
1.b speaking of crapping on on a tangent, a multi-threaded dispatcher with 128 threads aborts - simply aborts without opportunity to debug. 64 works very well with my 4 core laptop. It might be a thread pool limit I haven't run into that in a while but will check as I will be building a 2x16 core machine soon and want to max the work load.

2. If you develop with Windows tools, the default projects do not have the OpenCL demos packaged. I downloaded the CMake windows version and ran the wizard. Everything compiled great, just the intel cloth demo asserting.

Good Luck !
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: OpenCL Rigid Body Support

Post by Erwin Coumans »

The latest OpenCL rigid body work is not public yet, but I make it public soon.

The OpenCL rigid body work in http://github.com/erwincoumans/experiments is a bit out-of-date, but you could try it out. It uses premake to generate projects for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.

In Bullet 2.81 there is just some soft body/cloth OpenCL work, no rigid body.
Thanks,
Erwin