How to convert from world coordinate

henokyen

How to convert from world coordinate

Post by henokyen »

I have some objects in the physics simulation and i want to know the local coordinates of these objects ?
How can i do that ?
c0der

Re: How to convert from world coordinate

Post by c0der »

Converting from world to local just involves multiplying the world transform matrix of the object by the inverse to get the identity matrix.

Normally you want to transform a different object B into the local frame of object A, which just involves multiplying B's world transform matrix by A's inverse world transform matrix, meaning that A will now be at the origin and B's position will be relative to this origin
henokyen

Post by henokyen »

Thanks ,
basically i want to create a joint between two legs for my robot.
and i am using the hinge constraint. and this class requires the local coordinates of the legs to be joined.
I do not know who to get the local coordinated now.
can just provide a piece of codes that do this ?
thank
you
c0der

Post by c0der »

For my hinge joint, I have one anchor given in world coords and a world hinge axis.

From the world anchor, you build two local anchors as follows for each body

Code: Select all

wt1T.transposeOf(m_pRigidBody1->m_matWorldTransform);
	wt2T.transposeOf(m_pRigidBody2->m_matWorldTransform);

m_vLocalAnchor1 = (vAnchor - m_pRigidBody1->m_vPosition)*wt1T;
	m_vLocalAnchor2 = (vAnchor - m_pRigidBody2->m_vPosition)*wt2T;
Basically these are vectors ra and rb (of the relative position) in local coords of each body. Perhaps you can paste some code or show your approach
shogun22

Post by shogun22 »

I am sorry for reviving this thread but I am completely lost and already wasted countless hours on this simple function.
So I know I have to provide the HingeConstraint constructor with local coordinates for axis and anchor point. So I wanted to create two little helper functions to translate a vector from world to local and to translate a point from world to local (since both of them are needed for the axis and the anchor).
What I came up with so far is this:

btVector3 pointWorldToLocal(int bodyIndex, btVector3 point)
{
	btVector3 localPoint;
	btTransform xform = arrayOfBtRigBodies[bodyIndex]->getCenterOfMassTransform();

// The local coordinates should be [(worldCoords - localOrigin) * inverse(localRotation)] or am I wrong?
	localPoint = (point - xform.getOrigin()) * xform.getBasis().inverse();
	return localPoint;
}

btVector3 axisWorldToLocal(int bodyIndex, btVector3 axis)
{
	btTransform xform = arrayOfBtRigBodies[bodyIndex]->getCenterOfMassTransform();
	// This works quite well but only if I do not inverse the result of getBasis()... ?
	btVector3 localAxis = axis * xform.getBasis();
	return localAxis;
}
Which should be equivalent to c0der's suggestion:
wt1T.transposeOf(arrayOfBtRigBodies[bodyIndex]->m_matWorldTransform);
m_vLocalAnchor1 = (point - arrayOfBtRigBodies[bodyIndex]->m_vPosition)*wt1T;
return m_vLocalAnchor1
But when I run it, the axis is translated from world to local correctly while pointWorldToLocal produces strange results.
I basically wasted two complete days of my life on this so please release me from my pain :( :(
shogun22

Post by shogun22 »

Alright folks,

after I froze my project for a week I finally found the solution for my coordinate translation problem today. Might be trivial for most of you but for those who are stuck like I was, this is my final function:

btVector3 RagdollDemo::pointWorldToLocal(int bodyIndex, btVector3 worldPoint)
{
        return body[bodyIndex]->getCenterOfMassTransform().inverse()(worldPoint);
}
yes guys it's that easy. Don't know why it took me so long to understand how getCenterOfMassTransform can be used to translate points. Maybe it's not in the manual or I completely overlooked it. Hope this helps someone else.

Best
benfocus55

Post by benfocus55 »

Shogun! Thank you! Saved me countless hours and actually clarified these concepts.