Gears simulation with Bullet

Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Gears simulation with Bullet

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Tantor wrote:I have just computed the rack-pinion constraint (depending on a frame, not the ground), and it works fine. My differential works fine. with the rack-pinion we can simulate all the links making up a car steering... a whole vehicule simulation is on the way!
That sounds good.

Such gear simulation might be useful for others. Could you make a contribution, for example the new rack-pinion constraint and a very simple demo?
Tantor

Post by Tantor »

I have no idea how to code for bullet, how to install the development environment... but if I can get my hands on the source, I might be able to compute the gear constraint, using the computation of the other bullet constraints as models... I might need the help of somebody to implement and test the gear constraint class...

to do a really goodjob, the gear constraint should be time-dependent, so we can simulate gears engaging in each other, like in a operated car gear box... spining speed of two engaged pinions might be different at the initial instant. so far, my gear constraint works only if the constraint is already achieved at the initial time of the integration. but of course, the simple case first!

anyway, I'll see what I can do for bullet
Tantor

Post by Tantor »

Hi! i am trying to compile the appSliderConstraintDemo with visual c++ 2005 express edition. I have installed the win32 SDK, it's ok, but I get linking errors relative to bullet :

------ Build started: Project: appSliderConstraintDemo, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Linking...
main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int __cdecl glutmain(int,char * *,int,int,char const *,class DemoApplication *)" (?glutmain@@YAHHPAPADHHPBDPAVDemoApplication@@@Z) referenced in function _main
main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall DemoApplication::setDebugMode(int)" (?setDebugMode@DemoApplication@@QAEXH@Z) referenced in function _main
main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie referenced in function _main
SliderConstraintDemo.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie
main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol ___CxxFrameHandler3 referenced in function __ehhandler$_main
SliderConstraintDemo.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___CxxFrameHandler3
main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4 referenced in function __ehhandler$_main
SliderConstraintDemo.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4
main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall DemoApplication::updateCamera(void)" (?updateCamera@DemoApplication@@UAEXXZ)
SliderConstraintDemo.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall DemoApplication::updateCamera(void)" (?updateCamera@DemoApplication@@UAEXXZ) referenced in function "public: virtual void __thiscall SliderConstraintDemo::initPhysics(void)" (?initPhysics@SliderConstraintDemo@@UAEXXZ)
main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall DemoApplication::clientResetScene(void)" (?clientResetScene@DemoApplication@@UAEXXZ)
SliderConstraintDemo.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall DemoApplication::clientResetScene(void)" (?clientResetScene@DemoApplication@@UAEXXZ)

It must be a setting problem. Please any ideas? I need it to work to code the gear constraints! Thanx in advance