Updated CharacterDemo?

tomva

Updated CharacterDemo?

Post by tomva »

Hello all-

I am working on a project where I need to support character- (or AI-) driven objects. So I've been playing with the CharacterDemo to see how to get this to work. This is to demonstrate/test how to move objects around in the simulation, deal with ghost objects, and deal with interactions with other moving objects.

The existing CharacterDemo wasn't compiling. It looks like it had a custom controller, and BSP code to load Quake levels.

I've got an updated CharacterDemo in my source tree, stripped of the BSP and other older code, and focusing just on btKinematicCharacterController and collision handling.

Two questions for the group/maintainers:

1) Should I update the existing Character Demo, create a new one, or not update the source tree at all? I think this is valuable, since it is the only Demo of btKinematicCharacterController that I can find, but you may not want a lot more demos.

2) I can routinely repro a bug: "Overflow in AABB, object removed from simulation. If you can reproduce this, please email bugs@continuousphysics.com. Please include above information, your Platform, version of OS." This happens whenever a dynamic object itself runs into a character. Is this expected? If not, I've got a simple repro I can share.

-Thomas
John McCutchan

Re: Updated CharacterDemo?

Post by John McCutchan »

Hey Tom,

Could you open an issue in the google code tracker and post your changes there? We can then discuss merging them.

We are aware of the crash and are working on it.

Thanks,
John
tomva

Re: Updated CharacterDemo?

Post by tomva »

Hello John!

I've created an issue, added some description of the changes, and a patch here: http://code.google.com/p/bullet/issues/detail?id=181

Thanks-

-Thomas