Constraining a DYNAMIC object to a STATIC object

ramsampath

Constraining a DYNAMIC object to a STATIC object

Post by ramsampath »

There is probably an obvious answer to this question , my apologies.

I was wondering if its possible to constrain dynamic objects to static objects. (since static objects have mass=0, I am curious how its handled).

When I tried it out, there were no errors, but it didn't seem like the constraints were handled properly. Does anyone have any thoughts on it ?

Thank you in advance.

ram.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Constraining a DYNAMIC object to a STATIC object

Post by Erwin Coumans »

ramsampath wrote:There is probably an obvious answer to this question , my apologies.

I was wondering if its possible to constrain dynamic objects to static objects. (since static objects have mass=0, I am curious how its handled).

When I tried it out, there were no errors, but it didn't seem like the constraints were handled properly. Does anyone have any thoughts on it ?
There should be no problem in attaching constraints between dynamic and static objects. Can you reproduce the issue in a Bullet demo?

Thanks,
Erwin
ramsampath

Re: Constraining a DYNAMIC object to a STATIC object

Post by ramsampath »

Thanks for your response Erwin.

Actually in running more tests constraining between STATIC & DYNAMIC objects do seem to operate properly.

However my issue might be something different. It is because of my system being over constrained and due to the sequential nature of the constraint handling in the solver, even a large force didn't seem to provide enough impulse responses to the constraints since it is relatively stable at that point.

I am breaking the constraints based on impulse forces triggered by the constraint solver. So a big external force or a big impact would break the constraint.

So in short I think I just have to work this on my end of things in the application.

Thank you again.
Ram.