Memory implications on performance

AlexSilverman

Memory implications on performance

Post by AlexSilverman »

Hello,

I'm running Bullet on a console, and as such, my memory pool is limited. I don't have the numbers in front of me, so I can't quote exactly how much is being allocated, but I was wondering if reducing the amount of memory that Bullet allocates for itself will have a negative impact on performance?

Thanks.
- Alex

EDIT-- I changed DEFAULT_STACK_ALLOCATOR_SIZE to be (5*1024*1024) rather than the 12 I believe it used to be.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Memory implications on performance

Post by Erwin Coumans »

The current memory allocations are very conservative and unnecessary large.

There shouldn't be any performance problem in reducing the sizes, as long as you don't run out of memory. This should become configurable through the new btDefaultCollisionConfiguration settings.

Hope this helps,
Erwin
AlexSilverman

Re: Memory implications on performance

Post by AlexSilverman »

Erwin,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Bullet v2.61 and right now I just changed the allocation amount in the library then rebuilt it (by the way, thanks for writing a library that builds quickly :) ). I look forward to the next version, even if CCD isn't in it. It sounds like you're going to expose more options, which will be nice.

On this topic, is there a way that you can suggest (like a specific object to interrogate or something), or that you have already built in, so we can see how much of the allocated memory Bullet is using at any given moment? Can we just check the number of manifolds and do some multiplication, or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks again.

- Alex