Correct way to simulate joint friction and joint damping

lyf44

Correct way to simulate joint friction and joint damping

Post by lyf44 »

Hi, I have walked though the document and several related post. Just want to confirm here the correct way of simulating joint friction and damping in Pybullet since I want to perform torque control on my mobile robot.

So for joint friction, the value specified in URDF is NOT used and it has to be simulated through a velocity motor:

Code: Select all

p.setJointMotorControl2(self.robot_handle, joint_idx, controlMode=p.VELOCITY_CONTROL, targetVelocity=0, force=joint_friction)
For joint damping, the value specified in URDF is applied automatically to the dynamics of the link. However, do I need to manually set the linear and angular damping field to zero?

Code: Select all

self._p.changeDynamics(self.robot_handle, joint_idx, linearDamping=0, angularDamping=0, jointDamping=joint_damping)
Having accurate physics is highly desired in my case. Thanks a lot for help in advance.
drleviathan

Re: Correct way to simulate joint friction and joint damping

Post by drleviathan »

You're asking in the General Bullet Physics forum which is mostly about Bullet's core C++ library. You are more likely to get answers to your question if you ask in the PyBullet Support and Feedback forum.