Feature Request: Bullet + AGEIA PhysX

projectileman

Feature Request: Bullet + AGEIA PhysX

Post by projectileman »

Hi everyone.

What do you think about integrating AGEIA PhysX into the Bullet core?
I mean implementing a wrapper in the Bullet API for taking advantage of the PhysX hardware as an alternative physics system. Just like the wrapper for Quickstep solver provided by the OdeConstraintSolver class.

At this moment Bullet is so fine, but AGEIA PhysX still rocks in performance.
Would be nice if developers can switch between AGEIA PhysX and Bullet through the same Bullet api. They would switch to AGEIA PhysX for production, and then switch to Bullet for research.

However I hope that someday Bullet will surpass AGEIA PhysX in capabilities and performance; we're still working on that!

What do you think?
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Bullet + AGEIA PhysX

Post by Erwin Coumans »

I don't see a future for Ageia PhysX closed source model nor their hardware. Multi-core, Cell SPUs and other upcoming hardware makes Ageia obsolete, I think.

Bullet is already being used in production by several titles in commercial game companies. The multi-threaded version of Bullet running on multiple SPUs on Playstation 3 and multiple cores on XBox 360, in combination with availability of full source code and liberal ZLib license are unique selling points of Bullet.

There is a C-API in Bullet under construction that we could extend to wrap other physics engines if we really want.

Thanks,
Erwin