Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Show what you made with Bullet Physics SDK: Games, Demos, Integrations with a graphics engine, modeler or any other application
gfm

Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Post by gfm »

Hey Everyone,

I'm Robert, the programming-half of Bork3D Games. We're two guys who have been working on an iPhone title in our spare time. We recently released for iPhone "Anytime Golf: Magic Touch" and I'm proud to proclaim it uses bullet physics. We use it for simulating the flight dynamics of the golf ball, sphere/trimesh collision and ray casts.

Bullet translated great to the iPhone. We had to reduce some of the default memory pool sizes to save memory--but other than that we're pretty much running vanilla bullet.

And the iPhone runs it well. There's only one "cheat" we did to improvement performance... When the character is swinging to hit the ball there's a lot of stuff going on: character animation, sound effects.. not to mention the massive glob of terrain we're rendering. Once the ball is transitioned to flight the iPhone has a lot of work to do. I discovered that I can dynamically reduce the fixedTimeStep interval passed to bullet in these circumstances and still get convincing results. After the camera transition we render a different character model to save ms and crank up the physics precision. By the time the ball is ready to collide with terrain everything is right where it should be.

The only portion of our physics we don't get completely from bullet is our rolling friction model. But bullet made this pretty easy to implement. Whenever I get a collision callback I have some code that tries to guess if its a rolling contact or a bouncing contact, and if its a rolling contact I engage an algorithm that starts applying linear and angular dampening based on the impacted material. It took a bit of fine-tuning but I think the results are convincing.

I'd like to give a shout to everyone on the forum who helped me along the way, I couldn't have done this without you. Erwin, ola, pico, Alex, RobW... thanks a bunch you guys, you're awesome!

And of course, a very special thanks to everyone who's contributed to bullet... especially you Erwin! ;-)

Cheers,

-robert

You can learn more about the game on our website: http://bork3d.com

coolman

Re: Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Post by coolman »

Congrats robert,

The game looks very nice. I would like to digg more into the Bullet & iPhone integration.

Do you have any plans to make a Lite version?
gfm

Post by gfm »

coolman wrote:Congrats robert,

The game looks very nice. I would like to digg more into the Bullet & iPhone integration.

Yea, actually "Anytime Golf: Preview Edition" is in the works. It should be available June 1st on the App Store.

Regarding Bullet & iPhone integration, I'm offering my game engine up for sale now if anyone is interested. I started a thread on the iphonedevsdk forum if you'd like to learn more: http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/iphon ... -sale.html

-robert
gfm

Post by gfm »

coolman wrote:Congrats robert,

Actually we decided to can the "preview" edition. Instead we dropped the price to $0.99 :-)

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 50314&mt=8
gfm

Post by gfm »

Update!

Anytime Golf for iPad is now available, which also uses Bullet!

Youtube video
gamba85

Post by gamba85 »

Cool!!Game for iphone and ipad! what about other platforms?
larrymaroudis592

Post by larrymaroudis592 »

Wow this is another game that I will download to my phone soon. Thank you for the share.
gerald548781

Post by gerald548781 »

I am very thankful for sharing an interesting topic with us. :D
jhumpa

Post by jhumpa »

Thanks a lot gfm for creating such a nice game. Congrats
Last edited by jhumpa on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidwachowi62

Post by davidwachowi62 »

Cool stuff this game is great nothing compares I'm starting to get addict on this.
evanjones246

Post by evanjones246 »

Just downloaded the game on my ipad! Love it!
[quote="gfm"]Update!

Good stuff thanks
Last edited by evanjones246 on Thu May 19, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bestactorx

Post by bestactorx »

Thanks for sharing the link to the game "Anytime Golf". I am a great fan of Golf games, but the job now is I have to travel always, so I miss my golf club.Outlook settings I guess the game you have shared will be very entertaining for me to make my trips busy.