GTA clone using bullet

gtafan

GTA clone using bullet

Post by gtafan »

I am a big GTA fan and complete new to Bullet. I also have no experience with any other physic engine. I want to create a GTA San Andreas clone using Bullet physics. What I need is simple physics for diferent vehicles like cars, bikes, boats, plains, helicopters etc. Also weapon physics and simple collision detection is needed. Can something like this be done using Bullet? Where can I find some useful information for this topic? Is there may be already some existing sorces I can use?
Neirdan

Re: GTA clone using bullet

Post by Neirdan »

Yeah, bullet can do that.
Which render engine do you plan to use?

When it comes to gun physics (and bullets) I think you can do some "instant hit" with ray tracing, except if you want realistic firearms physics like in Arma.
Pacha

Post by Pacha »

gtafan wrote:I am a big GTA fan and complete new to Bullet. I also have no experience with any other physic engine. I want to create a GTA San Andreas clone using Bullet physics. What I need is simple physics for diferent vehicles like cars, bikes, boats, plains, helicopters etc. Also weapon physics and simple collision detection is needed. Can something like this be done using Bullet? Where can I find some useful information for this topic? Is there may be already some existing sorces I can use?
Actually GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption (made using a modified engine of GTA IV) uses Bullet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_%28 ... cial_games).

You can't make a game like GTA using bullet alone, you need a rendering engine. A popular one that has a nice integration with bullet is Ogre3D.
gtafan

Post by gtafan »

Neirdan wrote:Yeah, bullet can do that.
Which render engine do you plan to use?

When it comes to gun physics (and bullets) I think you can do some "instant hit" with ray tracing, except if you want realistic firearms physics like in Arma.
I thought to use Ogre, there is already an Ogre based project called Grit it has some import posibilities for GTA maps and they seem to use also Bullet for car and plane handling. As an alternative I was also thinking about irrlicht, but at the moment this Grit project seems to be a beter solution for me.
Considering the weapons, using "instant hit" with ray tracing is complete satisfiable solution for me, but for rocketlaunchers, grenadelaunchers, flamethrower, grenades and molotow coctails I think more complex physics are necesary.
gtafan

Post by gtafan »

Pacha wrote:
gtafan wrote:I am a big GTA fan and complete new to Bullet. I also have no experience with any other physic engine. I want to create a GTA San Andreas clone using Bullet physics. What I need is simple physics for diferent vehicles like cars, bikes, boats, plains, helicopters etc. Also weapon physics and simple collision detection is needed. Can something like this be done using Bullet? Where can I find some useful information for this topic? Is there may be already some existing sorces I can use?
Actually GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption (made using a modified engine of GTA IV) uses Bullet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_%28 ... cial_games).

You can't make a game like GTA using bullet alone, you need a rendering engine. A popular one that has a nice integration with bullet is Ogre3D.
Yes I know that I need a rendering engine. I just fogot to mention this. Also sory for my bad english.
Flix

Post by Flix »

This has been already done AFAIK.http://gritengine.com/
gtafan

Post by gtafan »

Flix wrote:
This has been already done AFAIK.http://gritengine.com/
I have already mentioned Grit, an I am thinking to use it for my project, but cocidering the physics at the moment Grit seems have not much to ofer. There are, as far I know, some physiks implemented for cars and plains, but that all. The Grit team is more focused on rendering stuf at the moment.
gtafan

Post by gtafan »

I found some solutions but for Unity3D, is it posible to port them to bullet?