Dynamic objects and "the shakes"

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
Rizzo

Dynamic objects and "the shakes"

Post by Rizzo »

I've noticed that all of my dynamic objects touching other objects seem to start moving without any force applied. The objects also start to tremble or shake very rapidly causing really bazaar effects. I'm wondering if there is any remedy for this and is this purely a problem of how I'm setting my objects up? If I'm not specific on this situation, I can elaborate on the setup in more detail later. As always thank you for any replies.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic objects and "the shakes"

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Rizzo wrote:I've noticed that all of my dynamic objects touching other objects seem to start moving without any force applied. The objects also start to tremble or shake very rapidly causing really bazaar effects. I'm wondering if there is any remedy for this and is this purely a problem of how I'm setting my objects up? If I'm not specific on this situation, I can elaborate on the setup in more detail later. As always thank you for any replies.
Did you read the physics tips? Is there enough friction?
http://www.continuousphysics.com/mediaw ... ysics_Tips

Thanks,
Erwin
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I do have friction applied to both the "road" and "wheels." It is in the order of one for the friction value. To clarify I'm using the p2p constraint in the 4x4 example. Ah, I read that smaller dynamic objects can create instability. Is this a possible reason? In the link you passed along to me earlier it mentions to not make sides less the .02. Is this .02 the bounding sphere radius size? or of the actual object itself? I have my sphere's about .07 or so. Thanks Erwin.