better bug reporting capabilities / upkeep of SF bugzilla

How often have you been disuaded from submitting a bug because of a lack of bugzilla categories/support/usage or the sheer size of the forum bug section

Often
No votes
Sometimes
50%
Once
No votes
Never
50%

Total votes: 4

djmutex

better bug reporting capabilities / upkeep of SF bugzilla

Post by djmutex »

I'm hitting tons of compile errors on the new release (2.11), and I want to help out with documentation/patches, but the bug section of the forum is hard to navigate, and is not the best place to look-up/submit bugs. I'd be more than willing to help with the reorganization, as well as the patches, but the bugzilla categories and groups aren't even set up for me to add my bug reports under any sort of category where they would make sense.

For example, here's a trivial bug in the new release (2.11) that prevented a compile. And, which I'm still up a creek in terms of it compiling for me (Jam complains about not being able to know how to make libGLUT.a on two machines) I'd really appreciate a good place to post bugs, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been reluctant to post based on the lack of support for the sourceforge bugzilla.

RenderTexture.cpp
line 16
--#include "renderTexture.cpp"
++#include "RenderTexture.cpp"

Anyway, like I said, I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can, but given the scope of this project, I think more attention needs to be paid to leveraging the community. So, I'm here, I'm hitting bugs. Let me help you. Leverage me.

I've posted a similar bug on the bugzilla page. As I said there, I have only the best intentions, and I hope I'm not offending anyone with this post. My apologies if I have inadvertantly done so.

-Best,
Dan

Daniel[dot]Barcay[at]gmail[dot]com
djmutex

A clarification

Post by djmutex »

Upon reading my previous post again, I wanted to clarify something. I don't care if the sourceforge bug tracker is used specifically, but rather that a bug tracker be used at all... My linux compiles are still failing, and I want to contribute and get answers, but I'm just unsure of how to do so, and somewhat frustrated that a forum is being used as double-duty as a bug-tracker. Is there a tracker or some other service that I'm missing? Is anyone else trying to compile the new release on linux machines with gcc 4.0/4.1 having issues?

Bottom line, I'd like to know the best place for me and others to post my build errors, and if it's here, I suggest taking the minimal amount of effort to get a true bug-reporting tool online.

Thanks again,
Dan
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

There shouldn't be any compile issue on Win32, Linux, Mac OSX, other then this single lower-case include. This particular one slipped in during large refactoring, and is already fixed in the latest Bullet 2.12.

I'm using google code's bug tracker myself (I prefer it over bugzilla), but I prefer that you just post your issue here in this forum. Don't be afraid of posting duplicate issues. If you insist you can use google bug tracker here: http://code.google.com/p/bullet/issues/list

You are refering to 'tons of issues' what other issue rather then this one popped up?

Thanks for the feedback,
Erwin
djmutex

other errors

Post by djmutex »

Erwin,

Thanks for the response! I'll post here from now on. I don't *have to* post to a bugzilla, but I do find it more productive, especially in searching for previous errors before posting.

As far as the errors go, I have a few other compile errors and a ton of skipped targets which I think mostly stem from the following jam problem: "don't know how to make libGLUT.a" So I think it's skipping a ton of targets (demos and openGL support) and generating errors in others because of this dependency issue. The wierd part is that it's happening on two different systems, both with glut previously installed, both of which compiled the older version (1.9?) fine. I'm used to make, so I'm not yet able to read through the jamfiles as well as I'd like to track down this one, but I'm working on it. I'm not getting any errors in the ./configure step, and I"m too tired to post a compile log tonight, but I'll get you one tomorrow, as well as the output of the config step and/or anything else you'd like. Also, I'll try downloading version 2.12 first to see if it got cleared up there or not.

Again, thanks for the response.
-Dan
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

As far as I know, there is just 1 project that doesn't compile using jam, which is the new GPUphysics. If you want to compile that Extras/GPUphysics project, go to the folder and type make.

Aside from Visual Studio projectfiles and jam, you can also consider using Cmake, see http://cmake.org
It can generate makefiles, kdevelop projectfiles, Xcode (Mac OS X) projectfiles etc. It might be worth trying.

Also, make sure indeed to use Bullet version 2.12
And last but not least: have fun playing with it!

Thanks,
Erwin
djmutex

busy weekend

Post by djmutex »

Sorry Erwin,

I've had no time to work on this the past few days. I promise I'll get you that info asap.

Thanks again for your help,
Dan
djmutex

Problems gone with version 2.13

Post by djmutex »

Erwin,

I no longer have the compile issues with version 2.13. I can still provide you the information on my issues with 2.11 if you wish; however, it seems to work fine now.

Thanks again,
Dan