Dynamic surface friction

RJNelson68

Dynamic surface friction

Post by RJNelson68 »

I am using the latest Bullet with the latest Torque 3D game engine.

I am looking to create dynamic surface friction based upon material detection for rigid bodies and the ray cast wheeled vehicle. I have a working material detection system in place that can pass me any sort of variable that i could need, however, I am trying to find a way to pass that kind of information to the rigid body objects, and for each raycast wheeled vehicle wheel.

I am looking for suggestions, or if anyone knows a good example of this. It is a project I am about to dive into so I was hoping to save a little time instead of the usual spending countless hours of experimenting..

Thanks in advance
bwelch

Re: Dynamic surface friction

Post by bwelch »

So without knowing any of the details of your setup and being pretty much a beginner to Bullet, I probably can't be of much help, but my kneejerk reaction is that for each wheel (or other object that you expect to undergo dynamic friction), you check the material of the surface that the rigid body is colliding with, then use rigidBody->setFriction() to set an appropriate friction value (which you could store inside your Material object). I work with a program that uses a variety of materials with different friction properties, though mine is a simulation setup instead of a gaming setup (and my project doesn't use Bullet for friction).

Not an ultimate solution, but maybe it gave you something to consider. Or at least a free bump. :)