Is anyone still working on btKinematicCharactercontroller

white_waluigi

Is anyone still working on btKinematicCharactercontroller

Post by white_waluigi »

I'm asking because I found it uncompletle and barely usable, but it seams like the only way to get a walkable character in bulletphysc, which is actually the main reason I want to use bullet.
So is anyone still working on that thing? Because it seams abandonned, which is a shame, because whats the point in having phyisics in a game, if you can't let the player interact with the world with a character?
Or is there an alternative way to do a movable character? Because otherwise I would have to use PhysX and pay their fees, just for being able to move through the world (because they have a very functional), which is a little bit ridiculous.
c6burns

Re: Is anyone still working on btKinematicCharactercontrolle

Post by c6burns »

Would probably help if you were more descriptive about the symptoms. What's wrong with the kinematic controller? I don't really use them so I wouldn't know. Have you tried the non-kinematic controller?
white_waluigi

Post by white_waluigi »

Here are some examples of the problems:
If I walk towards a narrow corner, it starts hammering against it, I cant use dynamic elevator platforms, somtimes I fall through the floor and slide down a slope and sometimes it gets stuck on a ramp consiting of triangles.

You mean the DynamicCharacterController? It has a label, that it is obsolote in the code and doesn't work properly with uneven surfaces.
c6burns

Post by c6burns »

I use my own dynamic controller and I am fairly happy with it so far.

For a kinematic controller you would have to implement things like moving platforms manually since kinematic objects cannot be influenced by the simulation.
white_waluigi

Post by white_waluigi »

OK, but I really find the dynamic cc clunky. I just hoped the kinematic would get fixed at some point, becuase i think its the smarter approach.
white_waluigi

Post by white_waluigi »

So is anyone still working on btKCC?
c6burns

Post by c6burns »

I'm going to go out on a limb with a no, judging by how at least 3 threads in the last few weeks asked a similar question and either got a no or no response. If you need an already-completely-built kinematic controller that accounts for all the myriad situations you might get it into, maybe bullet is not the right SDK for you.
white_waluigi

Post by white_waluigi »

OK, thanks anyway