Building Bullet 2.81 on Windows 8 (cmake and make errors)

Nyx Erebos

Building Bullet 2.81 on Windows 8 (cmake and make errors)

Post by Nyx Erebos »

I'm trying to build Bullet 2.81 but I get stuck at the cmake stage. When I launch cmake (v 2.8.12) I have this error :

Code: Select all

OPENGL FOUND
WARNING you are using the obsolete GLU package, please use OpenGL instead
Could NOT find GLUT (missing: GLUT_glut_LIBRARY GLUT_INCLUDE_DIR)
GLUT NOT FOUND, trying to use mingw glut32
GLUT NOT FOUND
WARNING you are using the obsolete GLU package, please use OpenGL instead
Could NOT find GLUT (missing: GLUT_INCLUDE_DIR)
I tried to add

SET(GLUT_glut_LIBRARY ${BULLET_PHYSICS_SOURCE_DIR}/Glut/glut32.lib)
SET(GLUT_INCLUDE_DIR ${BULLET_PHYSICS_SOURCE_DIR}/Glut)
in the root folder cmakelists with no success (maybe I didn't put the fix at the right place because I get a "glut found" and the line below "Could NOT find GLUT (missing: GLUT_INCLUDE_DIR)" IIRC). If I ignore the warnings and try to build it with make I get this error :

bullet\src\BulletCollision\CollisionDispatch\btInternalEdgeUtility.cpp:310:2: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
 }
 ^
Please submit full bug report...
If it's a documented problem I'd gladly read how to fix it because I didn't find anything relevant on my own.
Moose

Re: Building Bullet 2.81 on Windows 8 (cmake and make errors

Post by Moose »

I'm not sure if I answer correctly but I answer nonetheless as I build on Windows successfully .-)

About the errors concerning GLUT: Don't worry about them. Unless you actually have GLUT in your environment and plan to use it, e.g. for debug output. I get the same errors and just ignore them. Also, you should disable GLUT in your CMake frontend in this case.
I have included the entire bullet src tree into my project and used add_subdirectory() as I understand this is the preferred way to go.

About the compiler error: This looks evil. Your compiler shouldn't crash no matter what you feed it. Which one is that? GCC or MinGW or something like that? Have you tried updating it?

Cheers,
Moose
Nyx Erebos

Re: Building Bullet 2.81 on Windows 8 (cmake and make errors

Post by Nyx Erebos »

I'm using the MinGW provided with code::blocks. On the installer it's written MinGW tdm-gcc 4.8.1.

As I understand you put the bullet src in your project to build it but I just want to build the DLL so I use the cmake GUI. Would it make a difference to try to build it from code::blocks ?

Thanks for the help, if I can ignore the glut warning I'm going to focus on the compiler error.