sphere attached with a rope to a rotating wheel

ananas

sphere attached with a rope to a rotating wheel

Post by ananas »

Hi all,

There is a wheel rigid body orientated vertically, with a constraint set on its central axis
on some height over ground. There is also a sphere rigid body attached with a rope soft body
to a single point on the rim of the wheel.
If I set angular velocity to the wheel rigid body everything looks as I would expect -
the wheel rotates around its central axis and the sphere begins to rotate around the wheel.
But if I set angular velocity to zero the wheel immediately stops rotating as if it was blocked
and the centrifugal force originating from the rotating sphere doesn't have any influence on it.
If I enable angular motor on the central axis hinge the situation is better as the wheel doesn't
abruptly stop upon disabling a motor, but slows down gradually its rotation. Unfortunately
the force originating from the sphere attached on the rope doesn't have any influence on the
wheel rotation direction and velocity, unless the sphere collides with the wheel - then
the wheel rotation speed and even direction can change. Summarizing - it looks like pulling
the rope attached to the rim of rotating wheel has no effect on the wheel rotation speed and direction.
Is there a dedicated setting that can be altered to enable such an interaction?
If my explanation is not enough clear I will provide a video.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: sphere attached with a rope to a rotating wheel

Post by Erwin Coumans »

The two-way interaction might not work properly between rigid body and soft body.

You could try to replace the rope with rigid body spheres attached by btPoint2PointConstraint.
ananas

Re: sphere attached with a rope to a rotating wheel

Post by ananas »

Erwin Coumans wrote:The two-way interaction might not work properly between rigid body and soft body.

You could try to replace the rope with rigid body spheres attached by btPoint2PointConstraint.
Thanks for the advice. I will try it out.