Custom contact normal algorithm

razer

Custom contact normal algorithm

Post by razer »

Some times contact normal is unpredictable. Especially on edges. May be it depends on what object is A and what object is B in collision pair and when they switch in a pair then normal switch as well.

What is the best way to override contact normal algorithm?

I can check object's UserPointer and if I have a certain pair of objects then I set certain, predictable normal.

e.g. normal could be always directed from center of sphere or always be normal to plate even on plates edges.

Thank You
razer

Re: Custom contact normal algorithm

Post by razer »

I plan to override

btCollisionAlgorithm* btCollisionDispatcher::findAlgorithm(btCollisionObject* body0,btCollisionObject* body1,btPersistentManifold* sharedManifold = 0);

I will do my own btCollisionAlgorithm and it will wrap original btCollisionAlgorithm but will modify normals

What do you think?
razer

Post by razer »

file btCollisionWorld.cpp

Code: Select all

virtual bool	process(const btBroadphaseProxy* proxy)
	{
		btCollisionObject*	collisionObject = (btCollisionObject*)proxy->m_clientObject;
		if (collisionObject == m_collisionObject)
			return true;

//only perform raycast if filterMask matches
		if(m_resultCallback.needsCollision(collisionObject->getBroadphaseHandle())) 
		{
			btCollisionAlgorithm* algorithm = m_world->getDispatcher()->findAlgorithm(m_collisionObject,collisionObject);
			if (algorithm)
			{
				btBridgedManifoldResult contactPointResult(m_collisionObject,collisionObject, m_resultCallback);
				//discrete collision detection query
				algorithm->processCollision(m_collisionObject,collisionObject, m_world->getDispatchInfo(),&contactPointResult);

algorithm->~btCollisionAlgorithm();
				m_world->getDispatcher()->freeCollisionAlgorithm(algorithm);
			}
		}
		return true;
	}

findAlgorithm - allocates new btCollisionAlgorithm

But process method frees it.

If I override findAlgorithm and it will allocate 2 btCollisionAlgorithms (original one and wrapper that will correct contact normal) then process will release only last wrapper algorithm.
I have to teach my wrapper to free original btCollisionAlgorithm

and algorithm return contact points by calling addContactPoint method in btManifoldResult

----

It would be much simpler and cleaner to put callback after or just modify the line

Code: Select all

algorithm->processCollision(m_collisionObject,collisionObject, m_world->getDispatchInfo(),&contactPointResult);
in btCollisionWorld.cpp
I do not wish to modify BulletPhysics

But it would be the easiest place,
1. I can detect here if colliding objects are objects I am interested in
2. I can call processCollision with my own contactPointResult2 object that will override normals and then call contactPointResult
razer

Post by razer »

Am I allowed to modify normal in gContactAddedCallback ???

I use it to detect sounds :))) But I just understood that I can adjust normals here. Right???
razer

Post by razer »

gContactAddedCallback works to override normal