setLocalScaling bug when scaling a shape

Pacha

setLocalScaling bug when scaling a shape

Post by Pacha »

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNJ3gM8-Bo

I have a btRigidBody with positive mass on top of another btRigidBody. I scale my body dynamically, but the object that is on top of it doesn't fall down when it is not on top of my other (scaled) object.

I have to translate it in order for it to fall. I did manifolds to check collisions and it is always colliding from below.

Does somebody knows an alternative way to solve this? Thanks.
Mako_energy02

Re: setLocalScaling bug when scaling a shape

Post by Mako_energy02 »

It may be deactivating when it comes to rest on top of the other object. If so you will have to disable it's deactivation, or force it as active.

Based on your video though, it almost looks like you may be using it as a character(btKinematicCharacterController). If that is the case then it could be many, many more things and I'm not sure where to begin.
Pacha

Post by Pacha »

Mako_energy02 wrote:It may be deactivating when it comes to rest on top of the other object. If so you will have to disable it's deactivation, or force it as active.

Based on your video though, it almost looks like you may be using it as a character(btKinematicCharacterController). If that is the case then it could be many, many more things and I'm not sure where to begin.
Both of my bodies are with DISABLE_DEACTIVATION flags. And the character isn't a kinematic character, it is a btRigidBody with mass 1. The only weird thing my character (the colored box) has is (0, 0, 0) as angular factor.
pico

Post by pico »

Hi,

i guess scaling doesn't invalidate the manifold cache as dynamic scaling is
is not a property of Rigid Body Simulation.

In general, if you want to make a Mario64 like game you need to use a custom character controller (CC).
Otherwise you run into a lot of problems you can't solve in Bullet Rigid Body Simulation.
I suggest to use the Bullet CC as a starting point.
Pacha

Post by Pacha »

pico wrote:Hi,

i guess scaling doesn't invalidate the manifold cache as dynamic scaling is
is not a property of Rigid Body Simulation.

In general, if you want to make a Mario64 like game you need to use a custom character controller (CC).
Otherwise you run into a lot of problems you can't solve in Bullet Rigid Body Simulation.
I suggest to use the Bullet CC as a starting point.
You might be right about the character controller, but this shouldn't happen, right?
pico

Post by pico »

You might be right about the character controller, but this shouldn't happen, right?[/quote]

When a Rigid Body is dynamically scaled it's no more a Rigid Body, so i wouldn't expect it to work.
What should happen with the contacts anyway? Should they move with scaling? Should they introduce friction?
I don't think Bullet or other Physics Engines Rigid Bodies solvers do take such behavior into account.
Sorry for no better reply :)
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Before you make any change to the collision shape (replace shape, resize etc) you need to

1) remove the rigid body from the world
2) make the change (resize etc)
3) re-insert the body into the world

Alternatively you can flush the contact points manually for the object involved:

dynamicsWorld->getBroadphase()->getOverlappingPairCache()->cleanProxyFromPairs(body->getBroadphaseHandle(), dynamicsWorld->getDispatcher());