Character Controller ... again

DomiOh

Character Controller ... again

Post by DomiOh »

Hi,

I was working several weeks on a character controller using different approaches (inspired by some other game's sources), but nothing seems to work.

E.g. free Torque 3D has a character controller - when not using a physics engine - that is working great.
It can swim, prone, crouch, run, jump, slide along walls and walk on TriMesh terrains.
When you use bullet plugin in Torque 3D nothing works.

But ... Torque 3D is not an option for me, because me and my team are working on an own game engine.
The problem is, it's not an option to use a completely own collision system only for the players when we have a physics engine implemented.

My problem is:

Our character is sometimes not able to climb stairs because it gets stuck.
Our character can not walk on the tri-mesh terrain because it gets stuck sometimes within the triangles.

We use convex sweep tests many times (as the IDTech engine does) for the collision tests.

We need a box controller - not capsule - because of the possibility to swim or prone and/or big character objects.
So a single radius character controller is not usable.

Has someone developed a working character controller with bullet yet, that can all the things do I mentioned above?
And if so, it would be nice to provide us with help.

Thanks,

Dominik