Optimising bullet plugin size

SynapticBytes

Optimising bullet plugin size

Post by SynapticBytes »

Hi All,

I'm creating an enhanced Physics plugin for the Shiva3D game engine, based on Bullet. Ideally, I'd like to implement an all-in-one solution and have all my functionality available in the one plugin. However, some of the Bullet libraries are optional depending on what type of functionality you are implementing, such as 2D shapes or Soft Bodies.

My question is, is including all of the required libraries into the one plugin and offering all functionality in one place going to be largely detrimental to the final plugin size? Would it be better if I split the plugin into multiple versions - one for soft bodies, one for 2d worlds, one for collision-only worlds etc etc?

Splitting it up makes maintaining the separate code bases problematic and makes it more complicated for the developers to use the plugin, but if there is a big saving in package size and/or performance, then it might be worth it. I not yet a very experienced C+ programmer, so the answer might be obvious, but I am unsure if the impacts of either way are major.

Thanks for any advice.