cloth vs tetrahedral softbody: bidirectional deformations

damian0815

cloth vs tetrahedral softbody: bidirectional deformations

Post by damian0815 »

hey all

i'm trying to have a spherical softbody interact with a cloth. basically i want the cloth to be able to on the one hand 'catch' the softbody (ie the softbody rolls around inside the cloth, deforming the cloth), and also I want the cloth to be able to beform the softbody in return (if the four corners of the cloth are brought together the softbody should deform to try to squeeze out the sides).

i'm having trouble getting this to work in a satisfactory way.

first, if i try to use clusters (collisions CL_SS) the whole thing tends to explode. is this related to the masses? or some of constants in the softbody's m_cfg struct?

second, if i just use vector/face (collisions VF_SS) it doesn't explode but i have to do make sure the cloth has a mass that matches the softbody mass in order for the cloth to have any deforming effect on the softbody... but this doesn't make any sense, the cloth should have a very small mass but still be able to prevent the softbody from penetrating through it.

is there a constant i'm missing? any way to make the cloth impenetrable to the softbody while keeping its mass low? setting m_cfg.k_SHR high on both objects changes the way things behave but doesn't really seem to be fixing things in the end...

any ideas how to resolve this problem?