SHIP ??

starkman

SHIP ??

Post by starkman »

how to make an ship(boat) vehicle in bullet? is there any way ?

is there any one to guide me ?
cesarpachon

Re: SHIP ??

Post by cesarpachon »

just looking for the same info.. :)
Basroil

Post by Basroil »

Why not just use a vehicle with 6dof joint connecting to a rigid body, all on a changing heightmap? The vehicle would follow the heightmap (waves), and the joint could be made with softish springs (to simulate rocking in waves). All you do after that is render a model boat shape connected to the information from the rigidbody and your water simulaiton where the heightmap is supposed to be. Not exactly the most physically accurate thing out there, but sure beats the hell out of trying to get fluid simulations involved.

Oh, and the heighmap and vehicle ideas both have their own demos you can recode to test the idea out.
STTrife

Post by STTrife »

If you have still water, you can also make a grid of points on the bottom of your boat. And for each point, set an upward force when it's submerged. And then ofcourse the more submerged, the more upward force (up to a certain limit). I think that would give a 'boat feeling', but it's far from a 'realistic' simulation. But for games etc. I think such a solution can work fine.
cesarpachon

Post by cesarpachon »

thanks for all your replies, I am going to research more on the topic. my project does not require precise simulation, is a game but in a river (raft simulation), not in a flat water body like the sea. I had been thinking simulate the river path with a solid terrain and the boat with a wheeled vehicle.. springs in the invisible wheels would made the trick of bouyance and the climbs in the terrain will add through gravity most of the force of the water stream.. what do you think, this is a bad approach?
STTrife

Post by STTrife »

Don't forget to look at raytest vehicle instead of using real wheels then.