Is there more documentation?

Oogst

Is there more documentation?

Post by Oogst »

I am starting out with Bullet now and have gotten the basics to work. However, I find it difficult to find documentation. I found the API online, but it seems to miss tons of functions. For example, if I look at a RigidBody in the API, I do not see a lot of functions that I do see in Visual Studio, like for example the function getFriction(). I can call these functions, but the API does not show them:

http://bulletphysics.com/Bullet/BulletF ... dBody.html

The user manual PDF contains explanation on a number of topics, but also skips lots of topics. So I am wondering: is there more documentation somewhere that I am missing? Or should I just randomly experiment until I find out what things do? For example, what do setDamping() and setHitFraction() do?
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Is there more documentation?

Post by Erwin Coumans »

btRigidBody is derived from btCollisionObject, so it inherits all its methods.
For now, doxygen, BulletUserManual.pdf and the Demos/sample code is all there is.

I'm writing a book on real-time rigid body dynamics, and I try to add more Bullet documentation in there.

If you have a list of topics that you want to see covered, can you please provide them?
We could also start the wiki again, to users can generate/add documentation.

Thanks,
Erwin
chunky

Post by chunky »

We could also start the wiki again, to users can generate/add documentation.
I'd like to see that :-)

Gary (-;
reltham

Post by reltham »

I'd like to see/use a wiki, please!
Oogst

Post by Oogst »

Well, now here's the fun part: btCollisionObject is not even in the API and btRigidBody does not show it inherits from btCollisionObject. Did Doxygen just ignore these files?
chunky

Post by chunky »

Use the source, Luke!

Not to diminish your main point which is the general lack of documentation [bring on a wiki! I'll add a bunch of articles myself!], but specifically:
"btCollisionObject is not even in the API and btRigidBody does not show it inherits from btCollisionObject" could be answered really easily, and really quickly, by checking the source :-)

Gary (-;
Oogst

Post by Oogst »

I agree that that could answer my question, but it is pretty sad if that is how it works. Unlike the source, Doxygen makes a nice list of all functions, including the inherited ones, and is much more readable. I guess some minor issue kept btCollisionObject from showing up in the Doxygen, so it seems like something that could easily be solved.

Anyway, am I right to conclude that I had found all the documentation there is and should resort to the source for more information on how things work? Then my question has been answered and I can stop searching for more. :)
chunky

Post by chunky »

I guess some minor issue kept btCollisionObject from showing up in the Doxygen, so it seems like something that could easily be solved.
I've been reading the doxygen docs. Look at #2 in the FAQ page. Probably the EXTRACT_ALL parameter

Gary (-;