Java Bullet

lhkbob

Java Bullet

Post by lhkbob »

For a project of mine, I'm interested in porting Bullet to java (not a swig wrapper but an actually port). I'm wondering if it's already been done somewhere (although a google search didn't turn up anything) and if it's okay legally with the bullet developers.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Java Bullet

Post by Erwin Coumans »

A Java port hasn't been done before, but there is a C# port (XNA). I recommend to start with a small subset, similar to the C# port.

It is perfectly legal to do so, please make it available under the same liberal ZLib license.
Thanks a lot, and good luck.
Erwin
lhkbob

Post by lhkbob »

I was reading up on the XNA project in these forums and you had offered them a branch in your svn repository. After I've made some solid progress, would I be able to use your subversion as well? Also, is the starting base you recommended to the XNA project still valid or is there somewhere better to start now that bullet has been updated?

Thanks
ewjordan

Post by ewjordan »

Please keep us informed if you're going to do this, I'm very interested in seeing this happen. If I have some time, I'd be willing to help, as I'm very much in a porting mood from working on a Box2d Java port (http://www.box2d.org). One suggestion, it might be a good idea to start from the XNA port rather than the C++ at first, because a glance through the BulletX code looks like a lot of it will become Java code with just some minor edits, whereas the C++ conversion will take more coaxing.