How to move a character? FPS

dangdongho3

How to move a character? FPS

Post by dangdongho3 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:15 am

I'm developing a mini-game for the University, he should use "bullet". It's an FPS and I need (for the moment) to move the main character, I guess the straight direction to the vector that looks at the camera.
How can I do that?

hyyou

Re: How to move a character? FPS

Post by hyyou » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:00 am

(late reply)

I don't know much about Bullet's camera. Bullet's Physics position are usually world-coordinate.

By the way, I believe the Graphics part of Bullet is just there for debugging purpose + show-case.
If you want to make a FPS, you may also want to code Graphics yourself (raw OpenGl)
, or use some external Graphics library (e.g. Ogre3D).

rebirth

Re: How to move a character? FPS

Post by rebirth » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 pm

It requires some understanding of kinematic objects and how they interact (or don't interact) with the physics world. It is pretty straight forward, but sadly I have found Bullet's character controller classes overly complex and messy, which makes following them rather tedious.

I wrote my own CC from scratch, but I do use the same/similar approach. It was the only way I could understand it. Plus, it's probably the best way to go about a CC, especially if you want it to suit your specific needs.

Look at Bullet's source: BulletDynamics\Character\btKinematicCharacterController.h/cpp