Where Are Bullet3 Examples/Tutorials?

KKlouzal

Where Are Bullet3 Examples/Tutorials?

Post by KKlouzal »

Where are the examples/tutorials for bullet3? All the provided examples use the bullet2 api.
Does anyone know where I can find a basic hello world tutorial for the newer bullet3 api?
Something to demonstrate which headers to include, how to properly initialize the library, adding a few rigid bodies, and stepping the simulation.

Or should I continue using bullet2?
I'm looking to use whichever version of the library can provide the best performance.

From commits on github it seems like bullet2 is more active in development.
drleviathan

Re: Where Are Bullet3 Examples/Tutorials?

Post by drleviathan »

The short answer: You probably want to just use the Bullet-2 API.

The longer answer:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but: I think the B3 API is only under maintenance and not active development. It was a focus for a while to get Bullet to run on GPU, but that is now on the back burner.

Do you need high performance on your own hardware, or do you want high performance on other people's hardware (whoever happens to install your code)? I suppose B3 would win if the hardware it was running on had GPU resources to spare, otherwise when it comes to running everything on CPU B2 should be comparable to B3.

Depending on what you want to do it might be easier for you to spin up a simulation using the python API which uses a compiled version of Bullet under the hood.