Slow, unstable car with high drift problems.

reflectduets

Slow, unstable car with high drift problems.

Post by reflectduets »

After endless tweaking, trial and error and scouring the net for any information I could find, I managed to get a working RayCast car. However, I will list the problems I have below.
  • I have a problem with the wheels sinking through the floor. The tutorial tells me I need to increase 3 parameters
    The wheels sink through the ground when the suspension cannot support the weight of the vehicle. You need to increase the suspension stiffness, max travel or suspension length.
    However, there seems to be a hard limit to these parameters. What I mean by this, is once my car gets sufficient mass, I can increase these parameters to 1 million and they behave the exact same as say, 500. Furthermore, no matter how much I increase the parameters, the chassis still moves slow as mud up from the ground, and I cannot make the springs any more powerful or faster. And no matter how low I set the wheel slip, the tires never grip good.
  • I don't know how to retrieve the XYZ values of the wheels, only the chassis. I've tried everything and the tutorials are no help, since I'm not using Blender. The tutorial code seems to imply that the wheels are inherently drawn in Blender, but the engine I'm using I have to draw them manually, so I need to understand how to get the XYZ of the wheels.
  • Car becomes unstable at high speeds. Tutorial tells me this advice to fix this...
    Lowering the centre of mass is a bit tricky in Bullet. You need to create a collision shape class that can handle a transform, and a motion state that undoes the transform. Note that the CCD motion clamping assumes no centre of mass transform, so you need to disable it.
    I have no idea what this means, and have no idea how to do this.
  • I am using an older port of Bullet, and some of the functions seem to be missing, such as Skid and Roll reduction functions and parameters. Therefore, my car skids and rolls everywhere with no functions available to stabilize it.
  • There is no way to upgrade to the latest BP, because the developer who ported it is absent, but I have access to several constraint functions. However, he never posted an example of how to use said functions, so I am very confused by them.
I am considering calling it quits and just building my own car using a block and AddLinearVelocity functions.