Full Tutorial, Starting at Null

NPizzuti

Full Tutorial, Starting at Null

Post by NPizzuti »

Hi, I'm entirely new to Bullet (I started trying to figure it out two days ago) and I haven't even been able to get as far as properly building it on my computer. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a complete tutorial, assuming I am starting with no knowledge whatsoever. I have plenty of experience programming, but my trouble stems from simply getting it running.
I'm a first year college student, sorry for having no clue what to do. The wiki guide doesn't seem to work and it doesn't really seem to be for absolute beginners to this sort of thing.

tl;dr - Please give a newbie a link to a full tutorial starting from installation. :)
c6burns

Re: Full Tutorial, Starting at Null

Post by c6burns »

Open the .sln and hit F7.

Or

Use CMake to generate an .sln and then see above
Basroil

Post by Basroil »

If you download the newest zip of the source (2.83/2.82) it'll have a "manual" there with simple instructions on getting started.
drleviathan

Post by drleviathan »

My advice would be to build the source code and demos and explore the demos until you find one that relates to how you want to use Bullet. Then modify the demo to do something else... and do research in the wiki, these forums, and the Bullet source code to figure out how to achieve your modifications. Expand your mod until you're ready to start from scratch. BTW, there is a HelloWorld demo in the Bullet-2.82 code.

I've looked at a few simple Bullet tutorials on the net, but have found them too broad and simple to be of much use -- I found it better to start with a working demo.
c6burns

Post by c6burns »

drleviathan wrote:build the source code
Not that you gave bad advice, quite the contrary ... but he is stuck at the step above. Also there is absolutely no info provided as to build environment so I assumed windows.

No offense to OP, but he isn't just new to bullet. He is new to C/C++
drleviathan

Post by drleviathan »

Ack, you're right! I guess I would ammend my advice:

There is a file called INSTALL in the bullet-2.82 directory that has instructions on how to build the codebase.