Robust Particle CCD: where is this diagram from?

raigan2

Robust Particle CCD: where is this diagram from?

Post by raigan2 »

hi,
I'm attaching a set of diagrams from Richard Tonge's presentation "Collision detection in PhysX" from the Siggraph 2010 Recent Advances in Real-Time Collision and Proximity Computations for Games and Simulations course: http://tclab.kaist.ac.kr/~sungeui/Colli ... ichard.pdf

I'm trying to find the paper that these diagrams are sourced from; I remember reading it recently but I can't find it, even after two afternoons of Googling.

In the mystery paper, the left-most diagram is used to describe a particle-vs-rigidbody CCD method: the particle is transformed to the body's local frame at both old and new timesteps, which defines a linear particle path in the body's local frame. This path is then tested vs the body.

I'm a bit hazy on the other two diagrams but clearly they're demonstrating the robustness of the particle collision method in the cases of sharp creases (i.e particles don't get stuck) and "sandwiching" (i.e particle's aren't pushed through the world).

Anyway, if anyone can recall the original paper, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise I guess I'll try asking Mr. Tonge himself.

thanks,
Raigan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
raigan2

Re: Robust Particle CCD: where is this diagram from?

Post by raigan2 »

Just in case anyone is interested, Mr. Tonge let me know that it's from GPG8 sec 7.3, "Fast GPU Fluid Simulation in PhysX"... I feel stupid, having been searching through .pdfs when the answer was on my bookshelf!