Problem with large effective mass and SI convergence

Please don't post Bullet support questions here, use the above forums instead.
jimali

Problem with large effective mass and SI convergence

Post by jimali »

Hi,

i have some trouble getting my SI to converge fast enough when two bodies with large masses collide on both sides of a body with a small mass.
The way i see it, when we solve the impulse locally the one large mass don't see the "real" effective mass in the contact eg. the small mass plus the large mass. It only sees the small mass which results in a small change in the large bodys velocity.
I've looked a bit on how Eran Guendelman use shock propagation but it seems that this is only usefull when one of the colliding bodies are resting on a fixed object (infinite effective mass). Instead i'm thinking of calculating the "real" effective mass seen from the contact point and use this to make some form of shock propagation every n'th iteration in the SI.
I'm not sure wether this is even posible so if anybody has comments or knows how to solve this problem please reply.

cheers,
Jimmy
Dirk Gregorius

Re: Problem with large effective mass and SI convergence

Post by Dirk Gregorius »

This is a known limitation of the iterative solver. Basically you should make sure that your mass ratios doesn't exceed 1 : 10 (as a rule of thumb).
jimali

Post by jimali »

Hi Dirk,

thx for the quick reply. Reducing the mass ratio is not an option in my simulation. :(

Do you think it is posible to make colliding objects sense the effective mass of other nearby colliding objects? and if it is posible, should this not accelerate the convergence in large mass ratio collisions?
Erin Catto

Post by Erin Catto »

You can use a conjugate gradient solver (Google GPCG).

You can also form the associated LCP problem and use a pivoting solver like Lemke's method.
Dirk Gregorius

Post by Dirk Gregorius »

I thing the ODE has PCG method. So you might look at this as reference.
Antonio Martini

Post by Antonio Martini »

jimali

Post by jimali »

thx guys,

i will read up on the links and references..