Inequality constraints

Please don't post Bullet support questions here, use the above forums instead.
daniel_i_l

Inequality constraints

Post by daniel_i_l »

In many tutorials that I've read, such as the slideshow here:
(add periods and slashes)
www gphysics com downloads The collision resolution constraints are modeled as inequalities rather than equalities. But I don't understand, why cant the euqations be written exactly using the impulse equation (the one on chris heckers sight for example) and then solve the system of equations using conventional methods (guass...) instead of LCP?
Thanks.
Erin Catto

Post by Erin Catto »

Imagine you have a box sitting on a table. The table can exert force to hold the box up, but it cannot exert any force to hold the box down. That is the reason for the inequality constraints on the impulses.
daniel_i_l

Post by daniel_i_l »

Why do you need a force to hold the box down? Isn't that what gravity does?
Thanks.
Eternl Knight

Post by Eternl Knight »

What Erin is referring to is the fact that the table can only exert an upward/outward force on the box at the point of contact.

In a way this is kind of like the equation "box_bottom_coord >= table_top_coord". Notice the inequality in the equation.

An example of an equality constraint would be wanting the wheel to stay stuck to an axle, e.g. "wheel_center_coord = axle_end_coord".

Gravity is an additional "force" on the box, not a "constraint".

--EK
Dirk Gregorius

Post by Dirk Gregorius »

The force is there to hold the box up.

The gravity "pushes" the box in the ground. The contact force counter acts this (actio = reactio). If the box would have a velocity upwards there would be no force.