Integrating bullet with own collision detection

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
psy_inf

Integrating bullet with own collision detection

Post by psy_inf »

Hello,

I've searched the forum for this topic. Unfortunally the threads covering this topic didn't give me all answers right away.
Let me explain what my situation is:
I have a fairly big database with houndreds of millions triangles. The database also contains buildings, static objects, trees and moving models.
For querying intersections and collisions I've already implemented broad and near phase algorithms (that have to page the data in and out as needed) which give suitable results for most tasks (e.g. following terrain, dumb vehicle movement, picking, simple collision feedback)

Now for the problem: In my simulation I have some vehicles that have to be simulated with dynamics.
The models for these vehicles have all the nesscessary information to construct a counterpart in the physics world (e.g. approximate shape for collision, joints etc.)
This seems to be the easy part: use the physics callbacks to modify the vehicles orientation etc.
More complicated is the issue with the terrain and the static objects. What I want to do, and for which I didn't find the answers is to tell Bullet that if it is checking collisions for let's say my vehicle, that I want to get notified so I can supply the contact information with my database for it (most of the database is static and dynamic parts of it would be abstracted in the way I've explained earlier.

Is there a more or less simple way to do so?

Cheers
psy

P.S. I'm newbie to this forum and bullet ;-)