Compiling for ARM/Raspberry Pi

tyler.bobik

Compiling for ARM/Raspberry Pi

Post by tyler.bobik »

Hey everyone

I am currently using bullet for a game engine in C++. I am attempting to cross compile it for the rpi. I found some older discussions on here about doing it but they were 6 years ago and gave fairly vague answers as to how to do it.

I have bullet working on my current Ubuntu machine. I compiled Bullet from source and I am linking to the shared library files that were produced in the output and they are statically linked. There is probably a better way to do the build, I am not the most experienced with make or cmake so any advice in that area is appreciated as well.

My plan was to do a similar thing with a pi build, compile bullet using the arm g++ compiler, and statically link the shared library files when I compiled the engine. I am just not sure where to start with it. Like I said earlier, I am not super experienced with cmake and more complex building strategies for large C++ projects.

Thanks!
RockHu

Re: Compiling for ARM/Raspberry Pi

Post by RockHu »

Hi....I have contents to fabricate arm (aarch32) and aarch64 cross compilers on linux. I used to keep up with them for windows too yet dont boot windows yet when like clockwork. would utilize mingw32 in those days, cygwin would have worked, yet presently windows has some slam thing dont know how great it is for sure it does.

on the off chance that for linux, in the event that you have the right apparatuses to assemble gnu stuff in any case then you can construct a cross compiler.

dig are for uncovered metal which is the thing that you sound like you are doing at first. what's more, I attempt to stay aware of the forefront of gcc and binutils.

on the off chance that you take a gander at my pi instructional exercises you can likewise utilize an aarch64-linux-.... work for uncovered metal by keeping away from the working framework conditions. which implies if nothing else you can run linux on one pi to not-cross-gather yet locally order for one more board under test, or do the sd card hit the dance floor with one pi. 32 digit or 64 bit.
Brian Beuken

Post by Brian Beuken »

I've read RockHu's response several times but can't quite make sense of it.

Im also trying to get an older version of Bullet compiling on the Pi, since the new bullseye version 3.06 is giving me some odd issues,

I've downloaded 2.87 but failing to build it despite following (I think) the instructions, I get a lot of errors, but rebuilding seems to eventually produce the libs... but the .sh file never completes so the libs stay where they are built, are they usable there?
Brian Beuken

Post by Brian Beuken »

Though I still would like a clear explinaton of how to build and use older versions of Bullet (2.87 for example) on the Pi

I have in fact discovered that my current version 3.06 is not actually to blame for my errors, it was just me linking a recent update cycle with the appearence of the bug and finding a different version of Bullet than I expected, but probably there for a while, and it's not likely to be the issue.

So while my urgency is gone, I'll keep an eye open to see if there's a simple way to build working libs of any version on the Pi4.
sharase23

Post by sharase23 »

Optionally, you can install the compiled Bullet library on your Ubuntu machine or the Raspberry Pi. This step is not necessary if you plan to directly link to the library during your engine's compilation.
shell shockers