A New Continuous Collision Detection Library (CATCH) Release

youngjkim
Physics Researcher

A New Continuous Collision Detection Library (CATCH) Release

Post by youngjkim »

We announced the release of a new continuous collision detection (CCD) library, CATCH, based on the following SIGGRAPH 2007 paper:

Continuous Collision Detection for Articulated Models using Taylor Models and Temporal Culling

You can download it from:

http://graphics.ewha.ac.kr/CATCH

Given the initial and final configurations of a moving articulated model, CATCH creates a continuous motion with constant translational and rotational velocities for each link, and checks for interferences between the articulated model under continuous motion and other models in the environment and for self-collisions. CATCH can perform CCDs including self-collisions for articulated models consisting of many links and tens of thousands of triangles in 1.22 ms on average running on a 3.6 GHz Pentium 4 PC.
bronxbomber92

Re: A New Continuous Collision Detection Library (CATCH) Release

Post by bronxbomber92 »

Hi,

as I side note your server is really slow. I can't download the paper.
projectileman

Post by projectileman »

It's not new at all.

It is based on a older Collision Detection Library: Swift++. And also has dependencies to another library which detects the Time of Collision:FAST .

Where is the innovation??
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

projectileman wrote:Where is the innovation??
This work is by the top researchers (assistant professor) in collision detection. This author published and presented this great paper and CATCH library/demos at SIGGRAPH 2007.

In a nutshell, the innovation improves conservative advancement based time of impact, for hierachies. It uses Taylor models and temporal culling for better performance, this is new. Note that Bullet only supports conservative advancement for convex objects. If we want to add CA concave mesh and hierarchy support, we need something like this.

Thanks,
Erwin
christian_scheurer

Post by christian_scheurer »

Hi,

I just came across those papers and I am wondering if Bullet has now a continuous collision checking method for its MultiBody implementation?
So would it be possible to do conservative advancement for articulated models?
I am looking for such a function for robotics simulation and collision detection.

Best regards
Christian